Saturday, June 13, 2009

Kick-Off to Summer BBQ Event...day one!


Just hedging my bets and doing a good old standby for Debbie's grilling event, Kickoff to Summer BBQ! The weather has been lousy here on Long Island, and hopefully I'll get to a brand new recipe I wanted to do for this event tomorrow. But just in case, we grilled some skirts steaks and tried a new side dish from an old friend. You can join in and sign up on Debbie's blog, Mountain Breaths or just go on over and check out what all the other bloggers who joined are grilling up!

Our standby is skirt steak. With Peter Luger Sauce. Miss Picky wouldn't touch anything else, imagine turning your nose up at a thick, tender and exquisite filet or a perfectly rare, juicy T-bone? Well, the skirts came out delicious. We marinated it in Peter Luger sauce overnight. If you can find it at the market, it's in the frig section by the meats. BJ's also carries it, and it's a great sauce, a little sweet, a little spicy from horseradish, a little bit between a cocktail sauce and a ketchup. It's excellent on chicken, on burgers, just about anything.






Roasted baby Yukon potatoes!









and for the second time we tried this recipe by my friend from the Cooking Forum, Cindy5_NY's Orzo Salad. We liked it so much the first time, it was requested again! So good. I also added fresh mozzarella balls!

Bruschetta Orzo Salad
Source: Cindy5_NY
Printable Recipe

1 cup orzo pasta
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil

optional: Kalamata olives, feta, tuna

3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (***OR, 2 tablespoons cider vinegar and 1 tablespoons rice vinegar OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
freshly ground pepper, to taste

Cook pasta according to package directions for about 8 minutes, or until just tender; drain.

Combine dressing ingredients.

Place hot pasta in large bowl and toss with a little dressing; cool about 15 minutes, tossing occasionally.

Add remaining ingredients and dressing to bowl and toss to mix well.

Cover and chill at least 1 hour.

Serve chilled or at room temperature.


Dessert was Ralph's Italian ices. What else? Summer means Grilling and Italian ice for dessert!
Thanks, Debbie, for hosting a really fun event! Welcome to summer!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next event will be over at Kathleen's Blog, Cuisine Kathleen on June 23rd! Get out your whites. White dishes, white flowers, white tablecloth's! Show Kathleen your pearly white's!


SHOW ME YOUR WHITE event, JUNE 23rd

11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of that sauce before but will definitely look for it - do you think it is a regional brand?

    Your steak and potatoes look so good and the orzo salad looks like a great recipe to try.

    Wonderful post and photos..as always;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marsha! The sauce originated at a fantastic Brooklyn, New York steakhouse, Peter Luger's. I know it's in all the local supermarkets here, gourmet shops, too. BJ's carries it. I don't belong to Costco so I'm not sure.

    Here's some history on the steakhouse...

    Peter Luger's Wikipedia

    Peter Luger's

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lookin good! I hear Rachel Ray talking about Peter Lugers quite often on her show when she is talking about steak.
    The roasted potatoes and salad really round out the perfect meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That steak looks so good. We have a BJs here. I'll look for the sauce. I think I'll try the orzo, too. I've had half a box of orzo in my pantry for ages. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of Peter Lugers either, but I'll keep my eyes open. The skirt steak looks great...potatoes too! That salad is perfect for summer! I will keep it in my try pile! Great post Carol. You are always grilling up something good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! That skirt steak looks great, I don't think I have ever tried a skirt steak. Your salad also looks really good. I should never look at all this good food when I am hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never tried skirt steak - if Miss Picky loves it so much, I'm thinking I need to try one! We have a restaurant that we enjoy for lunch - great burgers - and they have Peter Luger's on the table and I always use it - its really good. Your grillmaster would have been grilling last night in the teeming, pouring rain here at dinnertime - not so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The orzo salad looks good Carol. I just printed the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait for Day Two! Your steak and potatoes look so good and I love anything with orzo. We've never tried skirt steak, but I'll look for it.

    Thank you for the history on Peter Luger's, and I wonder if our BJ's carries it. I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your salad looks delicious. I love orzo and your salad is just bursting with flavor. I hope you have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a great dinner... even Mr. Picky here would like it all! I bet that sauce is regional, but I'll look for it anyway... sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top