Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ugly Tomatoes!

My friend Cindy in Louisiana already has an abundance of tomatoes. Imagine being tired of them by June? Here in NY with all the rain, mine haven't even started flowering. Well one plant did, but I cheated and it had flowers on it when I bought it. The rest were teeny, tiny plants and I'm hoping for a nice amount. Last year I didn't have enough to tire of them and I had to supplement at Trader Joe's with their heirlooms. Which were very good, by the way!

Always on the never ending quest to find a great tomato, the other day I found this one at the supermarket. Called an UglyRipe, and it's really good, and actually tastes like a tomato. Go figure, a supermarket tomato that actually tastes like a tomato.

There's more info on these tomatoes here at Slashfood.





UglyRipes look pretty good sliced. I don't even think they are ugly. I've seen much worse!









Anyway, here's a really nice tomato recipe from my other friend Cindy, in New York. Tomatoes Rockefeller! Was on my list to try for a long time and we're glad I did. It was excellent! Of course there was one change, wouldn't be me in the kitchen if I didn't do something that wasn't following directions. I didn't have frozen spinach so I chopped up a big bag of fresh bay spinach and sauteed it in with the onions and garlic. Another keeper, thanks Cindy!

Tomatoes Rockefeller
Source: Cindy5_NY
Printable Recipe

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 (10 oz) pkg. chopped spinach, thawed and drained
3 eggs, slightly beaten (2 eggs)
1 cup breadcrumbs (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
dash Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon thyme
salt and pepper to taste
6 thick tomato slices
*add 1/2 cup chicken stock if baking in individual gratins and add another 10 or 15 minutes cooking time*

Sauté onions in butter until almost soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Combine spinach, sautéed onions and garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, Worcestershire, and seasonings.

Arrange tomato slices in a buttered baking dish. Divide spinach mixture evenly and spoon on top of tomato slices. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

10 comments:

  1. Carol, you know I'll have to try this recipe. Thanks, it sounds great. Actually, I like the look of those tomatoes. I haven't seen them here. I'll have to look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol -I like the look of the UglyRipes sliced - they're pretty!

    The Rockefeller looks like something that would go over with my boys..will have to do another copy & paste!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Oysters Rockefeller, but never make it at home. Cindy's tomato version would be a fantastic alternative. I might add a little Herbsaint or Pernod for the anise touch.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Btw, check your email when you get a chance. I sent it from a different address.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only seen the Ugly tomatoes in a store here once a few years ago but not since. They were really good as I recall.

    This sounds like a wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like how they look sliced..not ugly at all..see it's what's inside that counts...waxing philosophical..:)
    I don't eat tomatoes, but that recipe sounds good..

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhh that sounds delicious!!! Definitely going to try it. That tomato looks pretty to me! Funny name though. I'm with you on the taste of most grocery store tomatoes..styrofoam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun and unusal tomato and it is nice to know it's name. I think they are gorgeous sliced and another blog (M's) showed them as beautiful flowers in a garnish last year.

    The rockfeller dish looks good - I'll have to bookmark it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, the UglyRipes look pretty tasty to me. I don't care how ugly a tomato is as long as it tastes good. :)

    The Tomatoes Rockefeller recipes sounds wonderful. And I think your substitutions are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my husband always insists that the ugliest ones are always the tastiest! I didn't believe him until this weekend when we went to the farmers market and I picked out on of the ugly ones but it was so so good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugly Tomatoes taste good! Your recipe combining spinach and tomatoes sounds yummy! It will be great to make this summer. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top