Thursday, May 27, 2010

Another Smoky, Sweet-Hot Sauce!

This recipe for pork chops came to my inbox the other day from the Seattle Times Food and Wine newsletter and when it said it can be ready in about a half an hour, it definitely peaked my interest. Not to mention the maple syrup and the chipotle's! There's that sweet-hot again! First time for us having a pork chop, just one of those things, never had one, never ordered one out, we just always just passed them by, but not any more. we really enjoyed them. Sauce was great, it would also be really good on wings, pork tenderloin, salmon, the possibilities are endless. Doesn't get any easier and it packs a lot of flavor. Of course Miss Picky opted out. She had a burger. A very thin, very flat burger. You've heard of quarter-pounders? Well this must have been a quarter-ouncer! No kidding. My new trick, I used a rolling pin to get it pretty flat. I told you, Miss Picky is very, very Miss Picky!




Grilled Maple-Chipotle Pork Chops
Source: Seattle Times Living, from a recipe in the cookbook "The Big Book of BBQ" by Southern Living
Printable Recipe

1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced, plus one teaspoon adobo sauce
6 (1 1/4-inch thick) bone-in pork chops
Salt and pepper

Whiz the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor. Or chop the chipotles and then whisk everything together.

Heat the grill to medium-high heat. Sprinkle the pork chops with salt and pepper.

Grill, covered, about 20 minutes depending, or until thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 155°F, turning once. Baste with half the barbecue sauce mixture during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Serve with remaining sauce drizzled on top.




16 comments:

  1. I grew up eating pork chops, must be a Midwest thing? Unless I marinate them, I find grilled chops to be tough. This look delicious. I think I would love it on a pork tenderloin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maple syrup and chiptoles...Wow, what a flavor combination. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very yummy combination of flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been eating pork chops all my life in New Jersey, Julie! Not even near the midwest :)
    We have also found some tough chops lately, having to brine them to tenderize them first but I would really prefer not to have do that

    Thanks Carol - looks like a good new recipe to try, I love it when I can give Ken some work to do outside at the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, the "other" white meat!! Love chops, we one one sold here called the "Iowa Chop" , a beautiful, thick boneless chop ideal for grilling! Will have to try your sauce - maybe go a little slow on the peppers at first!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another midwesterner who grew up eating pork chops :) Yours look juicy and delicious and the sauce sounds fantastic.

    Quarter ounce burger - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have got to try this without a doubt! Love the chops and the sweet-hot sounds excellent. Great recipe, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That quick and easy sauce combining chipotle and maple and bbq is to die for! I ma taking note and will use asap!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yup, there were always pork chops on the Indiana menu. I love tenderloin, but hardly ever do chops. Mike will order them in a restaurant from time to time.

    Not crazy about maple syrup unless it's for breakfast. Maybe sub honey?

    Annie, I've given up on brining ... anything! It changes the texture ... and I don't care what anybody says. ;)

    You didn't really roll Miss Picky's burger ... did you? a quarter-ouncer! that's funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish looks so yummy! The sauce sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plenty of pork chops in the south too! lol Is it a strong maply taste or does it kind of blend in? I"m always scared of that. I hate that maple flavored bacon. Your chops look great and they definitely are versatile. Fried porkchops was always a fave of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the idea of the maple syrup and chipotle.

    Ms Picky will always be the sweet Ms Picky. You made me smile with your quarter ouncer.

    Maybe no BBQ for me for Memorial Day, just got back from a strenuous hike a few hours ago.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We love pork chops and I look forward to trying this one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds wonderful, Carol. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. See you at Weekend Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carol,
    This sounds wonderful. I'm going to make this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top