Friday, December 10, 2010

Roast Chicken and Latkes!

Hanukkah is over this year, but I couldn't let another day go by without making the traditional potato pancakes! Found a new recipe for chicken, too, that I had been meaning to try! I got so busy with the latkes that I never got a chance to take a picture of the chicken! But it was a delicious recipe. Went nicely with the potato pancakes! Maple Garlic Roasted Chicken. Miss Picky asked for thin chicken cutlets instead of the thicker boneless, skinless! Anything for Miss Picky and it turned out well, we all loved it!

Some folks like sour cream on their latkes. Not us. Applesauce all the way! Alton Brown's Ten-Minute Microwave Applesauce is really easy and comes out so good. With or without the Cognac or Brandy, it's delicious! but I'm a "with" the alcohol and usually use Calvados! It gives it a nice flavor.This time I used all Fuji apples! Pretty foolproof recipe. I didn't even peel this time, instead of the immersion blender, I used the food mill!



They're good for any time, it sounds like a lot more work than they really are, but for some reason, we only make them during the holidays! The worst part? The house stinks like fried oil for a while!  But so worth it for a big batch of potato pancakes!




Potato Latkes
http://theresalwaysthyme.blogspot.com/2009/12/latkes-101.html
Printable Recipe

8 potatoes (I use Russets or Yukon Golds)
2 onions
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup matzoh meal (flour can be substituted)
1 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
vegetable oil

Peel potatoes and coarsely grate by hand, along with the onion.  You can also use a food processor (I used the medium shredding disc for a Cuisinart Food Processor for both the potatoes and the onions.) Then put the shredded potatoes and onions into a fine strainer over a bowl and press out whatever excess liquid you can.  Pour the potatoes and onions into a bowl with the beaten eggs, salt and pepper. Mix it all together and then add a handful or two of matzoh meal. Mix to combine. Then put it all back into the strainer and let it drain as you make the latkes.

Heat about 1/2 inch of oil to medium-high heat, about 350°F. Form the mixture into pancakes about the size of your palm or you can spoon 2 tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading and flattening into rounds with a fork. Don't crowd the pan. Cook until the bottoms are browned, about 5 minutes. Turn latkes over and cook about 5 minutes more, until the undersides are golden brown. You can tell it's browning from the edges, don't burn them. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Too high a heat is not good, the oil should not be smoking.

Place finished latkes on paper towels to drain. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in 250°F oven. Eat hot with applesauce. Or sour cream. They freeze well, to reheat, do not thaw, place frozen latkes on a rack in a sheet pan and bake at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes.




Ten Minute Microwave Applesauce
http://theresalwaysthyme.blogspot.com/2009/12/mosaic-monday-happy-hanukkah-with.html
Source: Alton Brown, Food Network
Printable Recipe

3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and quartered (I use Granny Smith and Braeburn or all Fuji)
3 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and quartered
1 cup unfiltered apple juice (filtered clear juice works, too)
2 tablespoons cognac or brandy (I used Calvados)
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used more)

In a sealable microwave-safe container, combine apples with all other ingredients. Close lid, leaving one corner of lid open to allow steam to escape. Microwave on high for 10 minutes.

Using a hand blender or potato masher, blend to desired consistency. Serve hot immediately or chill for later use.

Maple Garlic Roasted Chicken
Source: Food Network, Canada - recipe by Anna Olson
adapted There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I used thin sliced)
1 1/2 cups B-Grade pure maple syrup
1 head garlic
1/3 cup + 3 tablespoons malt vinegar
salt and pepper

Place chicken breasts in a shallow dish. Pour 1 cup maple syrup over chicken. Peel head of garlic and crush cloves under the flat-side of a knife and add all but 2 cloves to chicken. Add 1/3 cup malt vinegar and toss chicken to coat. Let marinate from 1 to 6 hours.

Preheat oven to 375 F and grease a roasting pan. Place chicken breasts in roasting pan, shaking off excess syrup, and season. Roast uncovered for about 25 minutes, until an internal temperature of 180 F is reached. Let chicken rest 10 minutes.

To serve, heat remaining 1/2 cup maple syrup, 3 tablespoon malt vinegar and 2 cloves of garlic. Simmer for 3 minutes, then remove garlic and keep warm. Slice chicken breasts into 3 pieces, on an angle and plate. Spoon warm syrup over and serve.

* I used thin cutlets so I poured the marinade in the baking dish so it wouldn't dry out when I baked it! When the chicken was done, I poured most of the juices (marinade) into a saucepan but left a little in the pan to keep the chicken moist and kept it warm in the oven. I boiled down the marinade to make a little bit thicker sauce. I think this would also be great with skinless chicken on the bone! *

I'm joining Suzy over at Kitchen Bouquet for another Flashback Friday!

18 comments:

  1. You really need to move closer to me Carol! This sounds absolutely wonderful, and if I eat at your house, my house won't stink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks great. I didn't realize you use that much oil when you fry the latkes - that is probably why when I tried them they didn't get that crisp, LOL! Yours look mouthwatering good (and crispy). I love maple chicken though my recipe doesn't include the malt vinegar.

    Great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! My hubby has been asking for latkes and this sounds like a great recipe. They look amazingly delicious and a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the best looking latkes I've ever seen. You are getting to be the expert! Your chicken sounds great too. Thanks for joining in with Flashback Friday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Carol.. Those look absolutly amazing! love the potatos and chicken!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The maple roasted chicken looks very interesting - would love the flavor. Have never seen malt vinegar!
    The latkes look perfect...you're getting to be just the best lil ol cook these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These latkes look so crunchy. I know what you mean about the smell, but you know what I did? I bought a single electric burner and i cook everything that smells in the terrace. No more smells in the house. The chicken sounds awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every recipe sounds so good! I am copying them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there anything better than Latkes, applesauce and yes, I have to have sour cream! We should make these more than at the holidays, maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great recipes, this post! Wow. I think it's fun to mention my grandmother made latkes, but without the onion and she served them with syrup. Sound horrible? They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Years ago there was a little boy at my kids school. His mom would come in and make latkes for the class during in holidays. They were so delicious and I loved mine with sour cream. These are making me drool. I feel like my dog when she is watching me eat something she wants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipes! I love your chicken recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's been so long since I have enjoyed a good latke-I like them with applesauce and a dab of sour cream. Delicious. This post just may inspire me to make a batch of latkes too.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those potato pancakes looks nice and crispy. must give it a try, :) have a nice week end

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love these potato latkes! Nicely golden and crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Latkes and tamales are my favorite holiday treats this time of year. But of course, I think you can enjoy these Jewish and Mexican (Catholic) traditions all year round!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it with both. I didn't make them yet this year, I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My hubby is a maple syrup guy, I'm an applesauce gal ;) What a delicious meal, Carol. I've saving the microwave applesauce recipe too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top