Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Cuban Sweet Potato Salad

I found this fabulous recipe over at Mi Chiamo Candace, a fun blog with so many terrific recipes! But by the time I realized I didn't want to wait another day to try it, I had no sweet potatoes in the house and I wasn't running out for them either. So I made it anyway. Cuban Sweet Potato Salad. Without the sweet potatoes. But it was still fantastic!  The pains in the neck I live with weren't volunteering to pick any up either. So I had a brilliant idea and used frozen, cubed butternut squash. They were a little mushy from being frozen, more than mushy, but the flavor was fantastic. I raised the temp of the oven, hoping to dry them up a bit, but only succeeded in burning it in spots. No big deal, we loved it anyway, burnt and mushy, it was so good. I am trying it again soon with sweet potatoes. I'd use the squash again, too, still amazing, but maybe I'd use fresh, it won't get so mushy.

I also added some chipotle powder, the smokey heat paired nicely with the other flavors in this dish. Not too much chipotle, I didn't want Grandma to pass out :)  Just a teeny sprinkle, and it gave it a nice smokey heat without killing Grandma! 

I highly recommend this one, served hot, warm or cold from the frig, it's a delicious dish! 
Thanks again, Candace!




Cuban Sweet Potato Salad (or Cuban Butternut Squash Salad?)
Source: Mi Chiamo Candace
adapted No Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

5 large sweet potatoes (or you can substitute cubed Butternut Squash)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
2 limes
small handful of cilantro
1 clove garlic
cumin, to taste
smoked paprika, to taste
chipotle powder, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Peel the sweet potatoes, rinse and pat dry. Cut them into even sized chunks and coat them with the olive oil.  Make sure that they are completely coated with the oil and sprinkle with cumin, smoked paprika and chipotle powder.  Spread them on a baking sheet in a single layer and place in the oven. Roast them for 25-45 minutes turning every 15 minutes so they roast evenly.

While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the dressing. Squeeze the limes into a small bowl. Grate the garlic into the juice. Wash and dry the cilantro and finely chop. Mix with the juice mixture.

Once the potatoes are out of the oven, put them in a bowl to cool for a few minutes and then toss with the dressing. Check for seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Serve these warm or at room temperature.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Joining in the fun with Elise at Whip Sp Something New!  If you are trying a new recipe this month, link up and tell all about it!

24 comments:

  1. Sounds good - and it helps to know that it's possible with frozen veg too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only you would use squash in a potato salad!!! Burnt, mushy and good..you're my kind of cook...

    Actually looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, I'm so happy that you enjoyed it! I think adding the chipotle seasoning is genius. I'm going to have to try it with butternut squash sometime too. We love both flavors in our household. Thanks so much for the shoutout. Have a great day! Candace

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure this sweet potato salad tastes heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol,

    I am going to save this one for summer. The person (silly man)I live with doesn't like some of the ingredients... But my friends up north will love it!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This proves to me that I really need to go buy some sweet potatoes! I saw this at Candace's site and fell in love! Now I'm head over heels all over again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, these sounds great! I had never though of making potato salad with sweet potatoes - Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad everyone liked them including grandma. Nice of you not to try and do her in! :)
    I always have sweet potatoes in the house, you could have borrowed them. :) They last a long time like reg potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saving this - sounds terrific! So glad Grandma didn't get done in :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sweet potato salad looks delicious with the potatoes roasted...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must be yummy! I think the smoked spices make this dish so delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love sweet potatoes! What a super idea to make them into a salad...and what great flavors you've mixed with the potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Squash would be nice, but I'd still hold out for sweet potatoes! I love them served in just about any way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful mix of flavors. Sweet potatoes are such a healthy choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a dish I'd love! I love both butternut squash and sweet potatoes and all of the added spices must awaken their flavor so well. This is a nice difference from regular potato salad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the flavor of this dish. What a great side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious!!! My husband doesn't like traditional potatoe salad, we'll be trying this one soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I saw this salad over at Candace's and it sounded good to me too. Now that I ahave another testimony I am putting it in my list. Thanks Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Delicioso!

    The smokiness of the chipotle with the butternut squash sounds like a match made in Mexico (Cubans don't use chipotle in their cooking).
    And this Cuban cannot wait to try the flavorful dish.

    Have a great weekend pal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sol, you know I don't follow the rules!

    Thanks for all the nice comments! This salad was definitely a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love sweet potatoes, so this sounds like a really nice dish. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Putting this one on my menu for this week. I love sweet potatoes, limes & cilantro. This sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top