Saturday, March 19, 2011

Weekend Cooking: Barbecued Raspberry-Hoisin Chicken

I did it! I finally found something different for Miss Picky! Usually I can only make flat chicken, as she calls it. Cutlets, pounded until it's so thin you can practically see through it. She tasted the dipping sauce first, and proceeded to have two skewers of chicken chicken chunks. Definitely a keeper. A bona fide hit! I pretty much stuck to the recipe, except I added a few tablespoons of soy sauce to the marinade. The Griller was careful and used medium heat instead of the usual "char and destroy" setting!

Didn't have scallions so I used chives from my garden! Spring is right around the corner, the mints are starting to show, too! And the Rosemary survived all the blizzards! It'll be so nice not to grill with a winter coat on, and even nicer to be using things from the garden finally!



Barbecued Raspberry-Hoisin Chicken
Source: from EatingWell: July / August 2007
Adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
3/4 cup hoisin sauce
5 tablespoons rice vinegar, divided
3 tablespoons soy sauce sauce
1 clove garlic
1 strip (2-by-1/2-inch) orange zest, or grated zest
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Pinch of crushed red pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, each cut into 3 crosswise strips
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens, divided

rice, brown or white, for serving

Combine raspberries, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, garlic, orange zest, ginger, pepper and crushed red pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside 1/4 cup for a dipping sauce.

Transfer the remaining marinade to a medium bowl and add chicken; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.

Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat the broiler to high.

Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the marinade (discard excess marinade) and thread onto 4 skewers, distributing equally.

Grill the chicken until browned and cooked through. If using the broiler, place the chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray and broil 4 inches from the heat source until cooked through.

Just before serving, sprinkle the rice with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/4 cup scallions; fluff with a fork. Sprinkle the chicken and rice with the remaining scallions. Serve with the reserved dipping sauce.

Joining Beth at Beth Fish Reads for her fun Weekend Cooking Party. Every weekend. It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share!

31 comments:

  1. I can see how Miss Picky wouldn't be able to resist. These sound fabulous.

    And I'm so jealous that you are using herbs from your garden already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so so good! I just bought a new jar of hoisin - must be a sign that I need to make this recipe. Using chives is a good idea as I never buy scallions and I have a prolific chive plant on my lanai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hoisin sauce. This sounds lovely - too bad I have given up eating meat. It looks so tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks delicious, can imagine the sigh of relief from you when she ate it :) ,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, Carol! I think my DD and SIL would love this recipe! He's the master griller, too! lol And the weather will be nice this weekend, so grilling out sounds fabulous! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a great original recipe; I love everything about it; if She likes it, it has to be good. Did you know I love raspberries!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made me even more anxious for summer and grilling weather. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMmmmmm I have everything but the hoisin sauce, so this will be on the menu after a quick trip to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this looks good! Grill season is right around the corner... will give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. now that the weather is getting milder, I have to fire up the grill and give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's about time Miss Picky found something she likes in all the fabulous foods you cook for your family, Carol! That recipe sounds delicious.
    I can't believe you have rosemary that survived the winter...that has never happened here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This really looks good..Will definitely be one of the first things I make when I get the grill out. I will not grill with gloves on!!! That's just WRONG....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds quick and delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now that is a fabulous recipe, Carol! OMG. I love it and have copied it already! Looks perfect over the rice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks wonderful, Carol! Miss Picky sounds so funny- flat chicken is wonderfully descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've copied it too. I want to try this one. It looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yesterday I ventured out with short sleeves for my run. Now today is cold again. Won't be seeing the herbs in our garden for a bit yet, still some melting to happen.

    This dish sounds very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be making this one, love chicken!

    You can visit my Weekend Cooking HERE

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I like this recipe since I have hoisin sauce in the house..I'll have to try this for tomorrow dinner..Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That looks delicious! I imagine you have to be very careful grilling chicken cutlets.
    Didn't get that warm out here , still needed my coat, but it was nice. None of my herbs survived. :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh yum! These looks fabulous! Going to add it to my list of recipes to try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. From the ingredients you used I know my mister picky would eat this too. He has many of his favorite flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Isn't it great when you find something for the picky eater! That's the way I feel, too, when I'm successful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yay! Maybe she'll grow out of her picky phase and you'll have this delicious barbecue sauce to thank for it. Sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think I haven't had hoisin-sauce for too long, because I can't really imagine what the combination with raspberries would taste like o.O I applaud you for trying it out (and succeeding)!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chinoiseries, I thought the same thing when I first tasted it, raspberry flavor was overpowering the hoisin or something, made me think twice. but then I added the soy and we ended up loving this!

    Miss Picky has come a very long way! Thanks for the nice comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. The tartness/sweetness of the raspberries and the sweet and sour of the hoisin sauce make a perfect combination. And the soy sauce, hmm its a staple in the kitchen!

    I have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds awesome! I need to go get the BBQ cleaned up and ready. I always say I"m going to grill through the winter, then it starts raining and I give that up. Its probably got fur growing on it now lol. If I tried this I'd probably use blackberries since I've still got plenty in the freezer. Your whole plate looks great! It sounds like Miss Picky is broadening her horizons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. omygoodness, Carol! I could literally eat chicken everyday so the recipes that you've posted that I've missed are right up my alley. This looks soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top