Thursday, May 26, 2011

Best Breakfast Eggs!

Jamie Oliver said "forget coffee, a little gnaw of chili in the morning will wake you up!" and boy, was he right. I'm up! I'm wide awake! But I still needed my coffee. Jamie called these Beautiful Breakfast Tortilla's, I'd call them Best Breakfast Eggs. These were really the best! Not to mention quick and very easy. Nice way to start the day. Now if I could get someone else to do the dishes and wash the pans I'd be all set.




Beautiful Breakfast Tortillas
Source: Jamie's America by Jamie Oliver, you can find the original recipe here and watch him make it!
adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced
2 limes
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 medium-sized tomato halved and diced
1 fresh green chile, seeded and minced (I used pickled jalapeno rings, chopped)
a small bunch of fresh cilantro, leaves picked and chopped
a handful of freshly grated Manchego or Cheddar cheese
4 corn or flour tortillas (I used flour)
6 large eggs
3 scallions, trimmed and sliced very thin
a good pat of butter
chile sauce (as hot as you want!), to serve (I used Sriracha)

Mix the avocado with the juice of 1 lime and a good pinch of salt and pepper, and put aside. Arrange the tomato, chile, cilantro leaves, and grated cheese on a plate, to top eggs after they cook.

Reheat the tortillas in a hot dry pan for about 20 seconds on each side until warmed through. Wrap them in aluminum foil to keep them warm while you start the eggs.

Beat the eggs in a bowl with the minced scallions and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a large frying pan on a medium heat and pour in the eggs. Lightly tip the pan as the eggs cook, and when you see a layer forming on the bottom of the pan, sweep a rubber spatula around so you large pieces of cooked egg surrounded by the custardy egg. Stir gently, keep an eye on it for a minute or so until the eggs are starting to scramble but are still loose, remove from heat and gently stir again. The eggs should be loose, do not overcook!

Get 2 plates and lay a warm tortilla on each one. Divide the scrambled egg between them, top with the chopped tomato, avocado, and chile. Sprinkle the cilantro and grated cheese on top. Lay another tortilla on top, and drizzle over some chile sauce. Cut your remaining lime into wedges to squeeze over the dish and serve.


There's a Jamie Oliver party going on at I Heart Cooking Clubs. This time it's Mad about Herbs! Stop by and see what's cooking!

IHCCJamieOliver


And see what's cooking this weekend over at Beth at Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking Party. Every weekend. It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share!






Be sure to check out Kristi loves Books for the May edition of "Whip Up Something New!"


*** I think Blogger is still having some issues, so if you can't comment, you can always email and let me know. It's been intermittent on some blogs the past few days. You may want to occasionally check this link...
Known Issues for Blogger

Originally I was able to leave reply comments on my blog, but then the comment box disappeared. I changed the setting to  "pop out" or full page comments and that seems to have worked. For now anyway. If you still have trouble, please let me know!  ***
THANKS!

also joining 


 

54 comments:

  1. Wow, an easy way for a weekend breakfast! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know my family would enjoy these. They really look wonderful and are a great way to make breakfast special. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those tortillas look amazing. What a fabulous way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love breakfast,it's my most favorite meal of the day! And breakfast tortillas have been on my mind for a while,these look awesome Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your clever blog title!
    And It simply would not do to miss my morning cup of coffee!

    I'm now following you.
    Stop in sometime.

    Ciao Bella!


    CREATIVE CARMELINA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh..this is heavenly!We love tortillas at home.Thanks a lot for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a great breakfast for dinner dish for my family. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful! I could definitely go for a breakfast like this...a few hours after I've had my coffee anyway. :)

    Love your blue dish! It's so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is my idea of the perfect breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love eggs in a flour tortilla! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't had any issues but then I haven't been able to comment much lately anyway :)

    These look amazing! I love Manchego cheese too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has to be so good! I know it would be hit over here.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. That just looks fantastic. That is something I would love someone to make just for me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love eggs cooked with salsa and do it all the time ..I guess I need the spicy "wake up call" in the morning :) This recipe would really make a wonderful brunch dish!

    PS: I had to add my name & URL to comment, as my Blogger profile didn't show up. That has helped on commenting some blogs, but not all as some don';t show that option. So frustrating! Hope Blogger clear this up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These eggs look fantastic! What a great way to start the weekend if I make these for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks for Sharing this great recipe Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops! Sorry., I thought I was on Sweet as Sugar cookies, CAROL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. LOL, Sweet and Crumby!

    Pat, followers don't show up on some blogs either. A little screwy out there this past month with blogger. Even with different browsers.

    Thanks again for all the comments! We're having it again this weekend. My son LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is totally my kind of breakfast...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't quite get my mind around breakfast tortillas. I'll bet I'd like them if they were set in front of me though - so I'll be right over!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Everything about this recipe sounds great to me, with one exception: the avocado. For some reason, I just never developed a taste for them. But I think the eggs would come out fine without it, no?
    What a lovely blue plate in the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The POP OUT SETTING for comments seems to work. I can leave myself a comment. Not sure about anyone else can leave one though.
    We shall see.

    Thanks for the emails, I appreciate your taking the time to keep me posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just checking. Comments also seem to work when it opens to a new page, but not when the comments are embedded under the post. At least for me!
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, this look delish! Regarding problems with leaving comments, I have had the same problem. How I fixed it was when I logged into blogger, make sure the "Keep me logged in" box is UNCHECKED. It worked! Have a great Memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Finally the comment comes back!
    My husband will definitely love this to start his morning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks awesome! My husband is the breakfast cook -- I'm going to have to talk him into making this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I meant to add that I'd still need my coffee

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Diann, I tried logging out and unchecking the box, didn't work for me if I had my settings to embedded comments. I can only get comments to work with pop up or full page.

    Thanks for the comments, happy it seems to be working somewhat and I can hear from all of you again!
    Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm always looking for a new breakfast idea. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This looks absolutely delicious - definitely going on my must try list, yum! Have a great weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for mentioning the comment issues. I have been going through hoops trying to post comments lately. Thought it was just me. Anyway...

    These eggs look great--my kind of breakfast. But I do agree with you. I'd still have to have coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Those eggs do look good. I am not a fan of eggs so I always enjoy spicing them up with hot sauce and veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  32. haha...if only there were someone to do the dishes ;) This looks really good- I'd love to have this for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  33. They sound lovely and a real treat. However, turning on the coffee maker is much easier! I'd never work up the energy to cook a breakfast like that.

    ReplyDelete
  34. sounds totally yummy...and sometimes I make something similar..but yours sounds better.

    ReplyDelete
  35. yumm, I love that book :)looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh, yum! That is a lot of flavor for breakfast! I much prefer hearty food in the morning and this look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Looking good! Why don't you join in the Whip up something new cahllenge as well? :)

    Checking out the "Let's get naked" challenge next!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Sounds So good! I think I might like potatoes in there too. :<)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I don't need coffee either, I prefer something like this every single morning :D)!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thhis is my idea of a perfect breakfast. Very yummy photo.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This is my idea of the perfect breakfast, Carol! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  42. A perfect breakfast! The more cilantro the better in my book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I would totally be into this breakfast! Looks delicious. I'd even have it for lunch or dinner. Perfect patio fare.

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow this is a perfect pita for me I love the ingredients inside, specially avocado =)

    ReplyDelete
  45. I would love to wake up to this great breakfast. Yummm.....

    ReplyDelete
  46. Some of my favorite things all mixed into one. This looks delicious. I'll definitely be making this soon. Thanks for sharing and linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a perfect way to start the day - I could definitely have a big helping of these for breakfast :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  48. Yum- this looks like a perfect thing to wake up to. All my favorite flavors in there!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Everything seems to be back to normal with blogger. I went back to embedded comments and it seems to be working!

    Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  50. It would be great if you linked this one as well to Food on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Better than a donut! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Carol, this is a lovely one for Food on Friday: Breakfast. Thanks for stopping by. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top