Saturday, June 18, 2011

Corn Chowder

I admit it, I love convenience foods. Junk food, fast food, takeout, airplane food, school cafeteria food, and yes, even hospital food. Could be because I grew up with a mom who had zero interest in cooking. Zilch. But she knew where to go for the best restaurants and she loves fast food. She had four staples in her home cooking repertoire, broiled rib steaks, frozen cream spinach, baked potatoes and cream of corn soup. The kind of soup where you buy two cans of creamed corn and just add milk. Heat and stir. We loved it. My kids love it, she still makes it for them. And especially my Dad loved it. So in his honor and because Pops is Tops at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I made a corn soup that I know he would have loved. It's from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. It even uses low-fat milk, and just a bit of butter.

We loved it!


What's not to love? It's got corn, potatoes, butter and milk! 


Chives and thyme, fresh from the garden.
When I served it, I sprinkled a little bit of crumbled bacon on top!

Corn Chowder
Source: Jamie's Food Revolution by Jamie Oliver
adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

1 celery stalk
1 medium onion
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups 1% milk
1 medium Yukon Gold potato, peeled and cut into little cubes (I shredded the potatoes, instead of cubes)
2 cups frozen corn (or fresh, scraping the cob to get all the corn flavor in the chowder!)
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives and/or parsley (optional)
2-3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
Pull the leaves from the celery stalks and set them aside. Chop your celery and onion.

Heat the butter in a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Add the celery (not the leaves), onion, and thyme. Stir until the vegetables start to brown.

Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir for a few more minutes. Pour in the milk, add the potato and bring to a boil, stirring the whole time so the soup doesn’t stick to the pot. Cook until the potatoes are tender, but not mushy; about 10 minutes or so.

Chop the celery leaves, trim the ends off the scallions and slice them thinly. When the potatoes are tender, stir in the corn and celery leaves. Bring the soup back to the boil, then serve. Sprinkle with chives, and you can garnish with crumbled bacon, too, if you like.

Joining
 I Heart Cooking Clubs to celebrate Pops is Tops with Jamie Oliver!

IHCCJamieOliver

Beth at Beth Fish Reads for her fun Weekend Cooking Party. Every weekend. It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share! Go on over and see some fun posts.
 


Souper Sundays (and salads and sandwiches) @ Kahakai Kitchen

34 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love chowders! My fav is clam, but when the fresh corn is at it's peak, all fresh and crisp and oh, so sweet...writing this one down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, I totally agree adding the bacon on top is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is totally different from my recipe but it sure sounds tasty. I think the next time I will try putting some bacon on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corn chowder is one of my favorites...we had it Thursday night, in fact. It isn't corn chowder without the bacon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great way to honor you dad by, the chowder looks delicious. And i can imagine it even tastes better with some bacon....

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mum makes the same soup, but puts in a can of salmon - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the only person I know who likes corn chowder without milk. I don't know - there's just something about warm milk that makes me squeamish. I know. Weird. :<) I love the way you honored both your parents. Really a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great! I keep saying I'm going to join that party one week-gotta do it! Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great chowder recipe, especially in the months ahead when the fresh corn comes in season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a really nice soup. But I kind of like your mom's soup recipe as well. So easy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love convenience foods too, especially when I am short on time. This corn chowder looks delish...!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to try this,,it looks so good,

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a fan of chowders of all kinds! Thye are nice and easy and yet taste like a million dollars :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love corn chowder! This looks like a good one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks and sounds delicious! Love the fresh herbs on top!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never had corn chowder before-I may just have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This has all the ingredients I like, that's for sure! Who could pass up the bacon? LOL It's the icing on the cake! :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love this comforting and creamy soup too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds so good. I saw fresh corn at the market the other day... the evenings are still a bit cool... hummm. Perhaps I should make this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a coincidence: vegweb's newsletter had a corn chowder recipe this week! I'm not familiar with the dish, but it must be a sign, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Corn chowder is one of my husband's favorites :)

    We are big soup eaters in general around here; I often make an evening meal out of a thick soup and seven-grain bread...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely chowder. It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My Mom was a from scratch cook, but my Dad loved the Campbell's creamy soups! He always came home with lots of them when they were on sale. This corn chowder definitely sounds like something he too would love!! Have a wonderful day. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Corn chowder will be on the menu often when our fresh corn comes in. Looks like a great recipe, Carol. Bookmarked till then.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a perfect choice for Pops is Tops for you...I loved your story that went along with your post. I love corn chowder and this definitely looks out of this world :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful! The bacon on top is inspired! Perfect way to celebrate your memories and your dad. And your good taste!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This corn chowder looks easy to whip up. I can try that in fall/winter.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I so love corn chowder--this looks delectable. Great pick for IHCC and thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds like you found a winner.
    3 posts in 3 days! You are really into it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think this looks heavenly and I know it tasted even better. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think corn chowder just might be my favorite soup. This looks delicious, Carol. The fresh herbs on top are such a nice touch. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks so appealing. Now to figure out to make it without lactose....

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carol, you have such great soups! Wonderful that you linked them in, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top