Friday, November 18, 2011

Shaved Zucchini and Fennel Salad

This one is pretty close to the Shaved Fennel and Mushroom Salad I've made in the past. The zucchini and red onion make a really nice addition in this salad from EatingWell magazine. I added the mushrooms to it. Nice, fresh and easy for a quick lunch. Or with dinner.







Shaved Zucchini, Fennel and Mushroom Salad
Source: EatingWell - July/August 2011
adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

2-3 zucchini
1 bulb fennel, quartered and cored, fronds reserved
4-5 white button or cremini mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
a little bit of fresh lemon zest
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup slivered red onion
6 tablespoons shredded Manchego, Asiago or Parmesan cheese

Very thinly slice zucchini lengthwise into long strips with a vegetable peeler, mandoline or a knife. Place the strips in between two layers of paper towel and let stand while you prepare the rest of the salad.

Very thinly slice fennel bulb and the mushrooms with a knife or mandoline. Chop enough fronds to equal about 1/8 cup. Whisk oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, fennel, fronds, mushrooms and onion; gently stir to coat well. Serve sprinkled with cheese and freshly ground pepper.

Joining 
Beth at Beth Fish Reads for her fun Weekend Cooking Party. Every weekend. It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share! Go on over and see some fun posts.
 

and



27 comments:

  1. I love the look of this salad! I like all of the ingredients in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds interesting. I have never tried uncooked zucchini, never thought about it. Thanks for the idea. And nice looking plate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always looking for a Salad with a different twist; this one looks and sound great and original.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always a little on the fence about raw fennel but with all that lemon to cut the licorice-ness, I'm sure I'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fennel! This sounds light, lemony and delicious. Beautiful dish too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking dish..but girl..a little to healthy for you isn't it!!! ME

    ReplyDelete
  7. This just sounds delicious - fresh and light - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love fennel...it wasn't something I had until I became an adult. It is hard to find here where the people mainly eat meat and potatoes...I always pick a couple bulbs when I see it, which means a trip 50 miles north of here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an elegant and delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heaven on a plate! I must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love zucchini! This looks really good. My son has a collection of those super balls and even at the age of 14 he still enjoys getting them whenever he sees them being sold. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I only recently started cooking with fennel, and I find that I really enjoy it. This salad looks good -- I find that the Eating Well recipes generally lend themselves to adaptations nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty! I still haven't tried fennel... gotta fix that:@)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful salad. I love fennel, such a great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore fennel (and funny that we both wrote about fennel salads this week). This looks not only good but so pretty. What a gorgeous addition to a holiday table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never had fennel...I should fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love cooked fennel but I don't think I've ever eaten it raw. This looks fresh and delicious, Carol. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks very good... and the dish is beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've eaten fennel but haven't cooked with it. This salad looks like a good dish to try using it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a great idea for a simple lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love fennel but almost never buy it. I need to change that! This salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had 3 bulbs of fennel in my vegetable bag. So thanks for the inspiration! It came just in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've not heard of a shaved salad. It seems like a terrific way to introduce a new flavour without it being overpowerng. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never tried fennel before, I think I'm a bit worried about it - does it really taste like licorice? That's why I've been hesitant to try it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top