Thursday, September 6, 2012

Beef with Broccoli, Onions and Potatoes

Carole's Chatter, a really lovely blog, has a round-up each week showcasing one ingredient called Food on Friday. After Friday she showcases a few highlights in a new post. Recently the topic was beef. One recipe that caught my eye was a Beef with Broccoli Stir Fry from Dishing with Leslie. I had to make a few adaptions because we were riced out, having had it for the past few days, and I had some potatoes that needed to be used sooner rather than later. And while I was a little hesitant about using potatoes, they really worked out nicely in the dish. Had some beautiful little yellow cherry tomatoes that needed to be used up so I threw them in, too! Delicious. Had to decrease the heat a little, Grandma was here for dinner. It was enough that she noticed but not too much that her mouth was on fire. Been there, done that, but Grandma is a good sport! This was a keeper. Excellent. We'll try it with next time to soak up all that delicious sauce. And maybe add more chili-garlic sauce, too.




Beef with Broccoli, Onions and Potatoes
Adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Source: original recipe by Dishing with Leslie
Printable Recipe

4 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
4 tablespoons water
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb skirt steak, cut in strips, round or sirloin steak, cut against the grain into thin strips
vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
3 cups broccoli florets
1 cup of cherry tomatoes
2 cups baby potatoes or large potatoes cut into smaller pieces, par-boiled in microwave or on top of the stove
1 onion, cut into wedges
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons seasoned rice vinegar
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic chili sauce

In a large bowl, combine 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3-4 tablespoons water; whisk until smooth. Add the minced garlic and let sit a few minutes. Add in beef and toss to coat; let sit about 15 minutes.

In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup water with remaining 2 tablespoons corn starch; whisk  until smooth. Add sesame oil, soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic chili sauce. Set aside.

In large non-stick skillet or a wok, heat about a tablespoon or two of vegetable oil over medium/high heat. Add beef and stir until lightly browned; remove from wok and keep warm. Add a little bit more vegetable oil to pan, add potatoes, onion and broccoli, cook until it softens. Return beef to pan. Pour sauce mixture in, add tomatoes, gently stir. Cook for another 5 -10 minutes. Serve.



I'm joining
It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share! 

49 comments:

  1. This looks delicious, and I think the potatoes are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious and potatoes in a stir fry would sure make Ken smile! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, how lovely of you to mention Carole's Chatter. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great recipe! Thanks for always linking up with Foodie Friends Friday and for always linking back to my blog! You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have lots of great flavors in this dish, sounds like a hearty and healthy meal:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks outstanding! so full of flavor and deliciousness!!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks better than the local Thai place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like beef with broccoli and like that you added the cherry tomatoes. I'm sure that they added to the overall goodness of the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great stir fry! I love how you just kind of added in whatever you had on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great recipe! The dinners that are created by throwing stuff in are always the best. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday. Don't forget to come back on Sunday to vote for your three favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this sounds like an absolutely delicious meal. Must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is dish my son would love! He's a real meat and potatoes guy! And, of course, I'd love it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah....this looks amazing! I can definitely see this meal in our future. David is going tolove the addition of potatoes. They are his favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carol, this looks delicious! My hubby would love this one with the meat and potatoes. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Wishing you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that you improvised and added potatoes in lieu of the rice, that was brilliant! This looks like a wonderful "comfort" dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the shine of the dish, if that makes sense. I don't eat beef, but I love the potato-broccoli combi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum. I bet the potatoes were perfect with that great sauce. I too like Carol's blog and have found some great recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks excellent. Think I wil try that this week for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Carol,
    This is a fabulous recipe with a flavor combination that we will just love. Hope you are having a fabulous weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chinese is always a hit in my house! This looks like the perfect meal for us too Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks delicious and I love the idea of using potato instead of rice, very filling!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is making me seriously hungry! What time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This sounds similar to a beef and broccoli stir fry that I used to make years ago but I love the potatoes in this instead of rice! I think the chili garlic sauce would be wonderful in it also. I'm ready for fall cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Don't you love it when you can toss in whatever needs to be used! It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks delicious! And I'm glad to hear you can scale back the heat level successfully. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. great combo - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wonderful deep flavors in this dish, Carol. Definitely saving the recipe for a chilly day in winter. (yes, it does get chilly down here once in a while!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know it gets cold there, once got frosted out of Disney, years ago :)

      Delete
  28. Thanks for all the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Substituting potatoes for rice is a good idea, Carol. It's fun to change things up from time to time. This looks like a delicious dish.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That sounds really good. I would never have thought of putting potatoes in a stir fry but I can see, now, that it would work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. When you posted this, I was multi-tasking on my lunch hour and couldn't comment, so had to come back to enjoy it! This sounds wonderful! I'm printing it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks like the potato substitution worked out well. Good thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks delicious! I love the baby potatoes you used, Carol. I always buy them when I see them in Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The stir-fry looks simply mouthwatering! I too love to make a stir-fry with broccoli, but usually with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great stir-fry!I'm not surprised that you all enjoyed it!!We'd have no leftovers with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Although I don't eat beef, this looks tempting. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love a bowl please. Sometimes I so crave for the slow cook and the thick sauce from these dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Such a hearty and delicious looking meal my friend :D

    Cheers
    CCU

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks delicious Carol...you have everything you need in a meal...
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Anything with broccoli and I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love all the flavors here...It sounds sooo delicious!Great recipe,Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That looks delicious wished there was smello-net :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Looks fantastic! I actually love potatoes stir fried and I think this is a great match up with the beef and broccoli. Sounds like the perfect one dish meal to me - lol although the Asian would come out and I would probably have some rice with it too :P

    ReplyDelete
  44. Hmmm, we have all the ingredients except the beef, but considering my wife is a vegetarian I may make this with tempeh

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top