Thursday, February 3, 2011

Secret Ingredient? BSI!

I love Secret Indredients! Miss Picky knows all about them, LOL, although I never really hid anything from her. I know in twenty or thirty years she may come around :) And this secret ingredient can't really be all that secret. At least not the one I used for this party!

Debbi from Debbi Does Dinner Healthy is the host for the Blogger Secret Ingredient from My Bizzy Kitchen and her secret ingredient is HOT SAUCE!  Hard to keep hot sauce a secret! Stop by Debbi's to join in with your favorite hot recipes! Could be new, or one from the past! As long as it includes some kind of hot sauce.

One of our favorites is Sriracha. I first posted the recipe for Hot-and-Sour Cabbage Salad last May. It ought to be called REALLY Hot-and Sour Cabbage Salad because it'll clear your sinuses for sure! But not so hot that you can't taste the flavor of the sauce. I like a hot sauce with heat, but also lots of flavor. This has heat and lots of flavor. The salad is a really nice combination of sweet and hot. A little too hot for Grandma, but the rest of is really enjoy it!



Hot-and-Sour Cabbage Salad
Source: Gourmet, December 2001
Printable Recipe

1 pound Napa cabbage (about 1/2 head), chopped in small pieces, but not too small
1 scallion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes (to taste) - I used hot chili oil, very little, a few drops!
some thin slices of sweet red bell pepper
some thin slices of fresh jalapeno
Sriracha sauce (to taste!)

Put cabbage, peppers and scallion in a large bowl.

Bring vinegar, ginger, sugar, and red pepper flakes (or chili oil) to a boil in a small saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Let dressing cool, and then pour dressing over cabbage, tossing to combine.




I'm joining Suzy over at Kitchen Bouquet for another Flashback Friday!
The original post can be found here!


and also joining Debbi, from Debbi Does Dinner...Healthy and Low Calorie, for the Blogger Secret Ingredient Challenge from The Bizzy Kitchen.

22 comments:

  1. I have always been amazed at how folks light their gullet on fire... I don't do hot too well. I love cabbage but think a mild version might please these sissy taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a combination! I am not sure this would go to well in my group; I love hot, but still want to be able to taste what I am eating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks great! Thanks for submitting to BSI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't tried Sriracha sauce! Must fix that because we will to spice it up here too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike likes hot sauce. We have quite the selection! My friend sent him 'Whup Ass Hot Sauce", lol.
    Your cabbage looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious...just need the Napa cabbage and just so happens I am going to the grocery today. I love using Sriracha or Sambal Oelek to marinate shrimp in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful combination Carol! and this really looks good. You mailed it girl. Mike love hot sauace but he likes it too hot which I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes! That's a hot salad, Carol! My tummy doesn't like too much heat...so I like that I can control how much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!!! It looks and sounds fantastic. I just bought Sriracha sauce and now I know what to do with it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a refreshing and delicious salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun salad! looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now this is a very interesting salad and since I am on diet, I will try it within the week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sriracha! This is a favorite at work too! One gal puts this in almost every meal, regardless! True it clears the sinus.

    Zee was craving for some hot soup last night (now its cold, 39 degrees) and we had some PHO at the Vietnamese restaurant. Sriracha was handy!

    We have a Filipino version of the ingredients, except we use green papaya and we pickle it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A dash or two of hot sauce perks up many recipes. Your cabbage salad looks delicious. What a great side for grilled meats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely, spicy salad. It would be perfect with grilled meat or chicken. It looks and sounds delicious. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hot sauce is my son's favorite condiment. Like you, I like my spicy food with lots of flavour - not such a fan of hot-for-hot's-sake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a son that puts hot sauce on everything. This recipe is right up our alley.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Carol, can I use regular cabbabe for this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, I think any cabbage would work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. EEWWEEE - BS as a secret ingredient..stinky!!! lol

    Your poor Grandma - I'm not a spicy likin person..Kung Pao chicken is about as hot as I go!
    Like the cabbage recipe - I would just have to tame it down a little.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love salad, and this is a must try recipe for me, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top