Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick's Day Dinner



The party at Kathleen's continues with dinner...



Corned Beef and Cabbage. The recipe for this one comes from Kevin at Closet Cooking. One of my favorite blogs. Another great recipe! Definitely a keeper! I used a flat-cut corned beef brisket and small potatoes, cut in half. There were no leftovers for Reuben sandwich's tomorrow. but the corned beef was on sale so I boguht two. The recipe was so good, there won't be leftovers next time either!



Corned Beef Glazed in Honey and Mustard Dinner with Cabbage
from Kevin at Closet Cooking blog
serves 4
1 2 pound corned beef brisket
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 cabbage (cut into wedges)
2 carrots (peeled and sliced)
2 potatoes (peeled and cut in half)

Place the corned beef along with the spices into a large pan and cover with water.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until fork tender, about 1 hour per pound.

Remove the beef from the water and pat dry, leaving the water in the pan.

Mix the honey and mustard and brush onto the top of the beef.

Sprinkle the brown sugar over the beef.

Bake in a preheated 400F oven for 20-30 minutes bringing it to broil for the last few minutes to caramelize the glaze.

Meanwhile, place the vegetables in the pan with water and simmer until tender, about 20-30 minutes.

Slice the the beef again the grain and serve with the vegetables.


Happy St. Patrick's Day and thanks for a great party, Kathleen!

8 comments:

  1. With all that is going on in your life right now I am so thankful that you had time to make your traditional St. Patrick's dinner.

    It looks magically delicious as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that does look good. I bought extra too, so I will try Kevin's recipe next time...I do mine in ginger ale, but his way sounds interesting...
    On my way down to see your other post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol, you made that corned beef proud! Beautiful photo, glad you celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had more people to make corned beef - but don't know what I would do with all the leftovers..may have to have the butcher cut me a small one to at least try it!
    Great meal -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your corned beef dinner is a beauty. ... Great sounding recipe.

    Glad you have an extra corned beef for your reubens.
    For me, that's the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Kevin's recipe and it sure did sound good. Now I have your endorsement too! I'm sure it must be a keeper. Beautiful pics too! Like a rainbow :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound like a wonderful recipe, Carol! I may have to buy another one just to try it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your corned beef dinner looks good! I need to get more corned beef next time so that I have more leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top