Friday, April 24, 2009

Wontons for Dessert!


It's Friday! Time for a flashback with Suzy at Kitchen Bouquet blog. I'm flashing back to a really delicious dessert. I love dessert, be even better if it came at the beginning of the meal. but no big deal, there is always room for a little something. I first tried this recipe for dessert ravioli's and the kids loved them. Made them once way back when and that was that, on to the next experiment! Fried Banana Ravioli with Vanilla Custard Sauce from epicurious is a really fantastic dessert and makes a great impression. Definitely gets the "oohs" and "ahhs!" I betcha can't eat just one, or even two! This is really good stuff.

Then I tried this one, called wontons instead of ravioli, but very similar to the epicurious recipe. This one is from the Cooking Forum. Also very easy! Use any sauce you like with it!


Banana Won Tons
adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Source: Cooking Forum, AnnT
Printable Recipe

24 wonton wrappers
2 bananas
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon water
chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
oil for frying
powdered sugar

Optional: caramel sauce and ice cream

Place 12 won ton wrappers on a board. Slice each banana diagonally into 6 pieces.

Place one slice on banana on each wonton wrapper and sprinkle with brown sugar. Top with some chopped nuts, if using.

Mix together flour and water to form a paste. Brush a small amount of paste around the edges of wonton wrappers.

Top with remaining wrappers and press edges to seal. Deep fry in hot oil until golden and drain on paper towels.

Sprinkle wontons with icing sugar or serve warm with a caramel sauce or ice cream.
  



Joining
 

11 comments:

  1. Carol, the wontons look delicious ... absolutely sinful. John will have his with ice cream; I want the caramel and LOTS of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - I could go for this as a late night snack...or breakfast since it DOES have a banana!!
    Great post Carol! I'm with Cynthia on the caramel...;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see the original recipe calls for pecans which I would love! We splurged and got Butter Pecan custard ice cream with our friends after dinner tonight!

    What a delicious flashback - love the photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so good...maybe a little nutella in with the banana too...as Kathleen's neighbor would say...yummmo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I would love these. When I was a teenager there was only one chinese restaurant in town called..The China Restaurant! lol They had a dessert there that was a batter dipped banana, then fried with some kind of syrup on it. I can just taste it looking at your pic! That restaurant was also the place to go if you were 15 and wanted to get something to drink....and I don't mean iced tea. So as you can imagine it was a favorite with teenage girls and guys alike :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fried banana wontons are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum. I missed this on the CF.
    Carol, the wontons look harmless, but I'll bet they taste anything but.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic way of using bananas. Thanks for linking it in. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy cooking, but Have never used wonton wrappers. Will have to try these. They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top