Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Vegetable Garden Stir Fry

Chicken with Cashews is a really flavorful recipe by itself, but when you have young kids you might add vegetables and whatever, hoping they'll at least try, and maybe even like them. So my kids tried and ended up liking them. They turned out to be pretty easy going when it came to vegetables. Fish and dairy, another story, but we're working on it.

I took this really excellent recipe from Good Morning America, and this time I added water chestnuts, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, carrots, and snow peas to whatever else was listed in the recipe. Bok Choy and baby corns are also good in it. It's turned out to be pretty much a vegetable garden stir fry, you can really put whatever you like in, use whatever nuts you like. I make it much more saucy!

Chicken with Cashews

Good Morning America (Charlie Gibson)
Printable Recipe

4 tablespoons wine vinegar
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons sugar
14 ounces raw boneless skinned chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons oil
3 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon minced or grated fresh ginger OR 1/2 teaspoon dried
LOTS OF CASHEWS
4 cups cooked rice

Mix together vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar, set aside.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok. Toss chicken pieces in cornstarch, then stir fry them 5-7 minutes until cooked.

Remove from pan and add onion, garlic, red pepper, and ginger. Stir fry 15 seconds.

Add vinegar mixture, cashews, chicken, stirring to coat chicken, about 2 minutes. Serve over rice.

8 comments:

  1. The original recipe looks good to me...lol Adding the veggies are a good idea, one way to get them to eat some... Who knew Charlie could cook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Charlie Gibson. Anything he makes must be good :) Bring on the cashews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The recipe does look good and even better with the vegetables, but I'd have to leave out the cashews. ... I guess it wouldn't be chicken with cashews then. :)

    I really like cashews to snack on, but never in food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great recipe. I am not sure about my teens and all the vegggies, but my husband and I would definitely eat it. Thank you for stopping by to visit and your nice comments.

    Thanks for sharing!
    thehummingbirdcottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious..you know I like the chicken or shrimp with honey walnuts too.
    I know you can't eat the shrimp, so I will make you chicken.
    Stay dry..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How did I miss commenting on this yesterday? Oops, just wanted to pop in and say it looks wonderful. We love cashew chicken though ours is not always as veggie rich as it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Matt rather than Charlie, but thanks for the recipe anyway - it really looks good and I would love all the extra veggies in it.

    Hey - what does Kathleen mean - she will "make you chicken" - when is this happening????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, you make great food... I think this sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top