Saturday, April 24, 2010

Lightening up General Tso!

Cooking up a storm lately! The spring weather must be giving me some extra energy or something. Tomorrow it's back to ordering in, it's been enough of a streak for now! I think stir fry is one of the easiest meals to make for dinner. So I tried looking for something new. We always have Chicken with Cashews. So I went looking for something a little different. Found this one at Martha Stewart. It was very good. but next time I'd use a lot less sugar! and maybe a little less pepper, almost took out Grandma, LOL!



Lighter General Tso's Chicken
Source: Everyday Food – October, 2008
Printable Recipe
(adapted)

1 1/4 cups long-grain brown rice
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 pound snow peas, trimmed and halved crosswise
4 garlic cloves, sliced (I used 3 minced cloves)
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated and peeled
3 tablespoons light-brown sugar (next time I'd cut it to 1or 2 T)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
2 large egg whites
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Cook rice according to package instructions. In a bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon cornstarch and 1/2 cup cold water until smooth. Add snow peas, garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce, and red-pepper flakes; toss to combine, and set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together egg whites, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken, and toss to coat.

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high. Lift half the chicken from egg-white mixture (shaking off excess), and add to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate; repeat with remaining oil and chicken, and add the rest of the cooked chicken and any juices, along with the snow-pea mixture to skillet. Toss to coat. Cook until snow peas are tender and sauce has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with rice.

10 comments:

  1. I am with Grandma..leaves out the pepper!
    Looks good , Carol! Snow peas are one of the few veggies I like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erase the s on the end of leave..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally, a vegetable you like, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great...I am going to have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great, Carol. Did you bake the rice? That seems to be the only way I can get brown rice to taste good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love snow peas too and am going to try growing some this year next to my sugar snap peas. I like the idea of a lightened version of the General - it sounds and looks great, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy! I like spicy so I'd leave the epepper flakes in :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. General Tso's is a favorite here so will give this one a try. I have feeling I may like it better than the battered kind I buy. My bowl of cereal feels like its down in my toes now that I've been catching up on your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe if I put extra peppers in it, Joe won't notice the snow peas :-) I would like this Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your lilacs and the mosaic.....but I'm really drooling over that fabulous brunch!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top