Monday, March 14, 2011

Kathleen's St. Patrick's Party and a Celebrity Cook-Along!

Time to break out the bubbles and Lucky, the Lucky Charm's Leprechaun...


Once again, we're celebrating St Patrick's Day with our favorite lass, Kathleen from Cuisine Kathleen! Stop at Kathleen's annual St Patrick's party for a good time and see what so many have planned for this special day! I'm celebrating with my usual start to St Patrick's Day, a nice big bowl of Lucky Charm's, along with my favorite Pezhead, Lucky the Leprechaun, also known as LC!  It's definitely enough sugar to keep me going!

This time I decided to try something new. Something completely different. Trader Joe's was advertising a St Patrick's Blue. A Farmhouse Blue Cheese from Ireland that sounded perfect. Called Cashel Blue Cheese, I went to the Cashel Blue Website and found a recipe that looked interesting. Cabbage Salad. The recipe sounded good, but definitely different than the usual salad I would have had with blue cheese. This was actually a very nice change. Maybe not at first, boy, what a stinky cheese. But I ended up really enjoying this salad!  The cheese is sharp, pungent and creamy. Very nice with the sweetness and crunch of the apples and carrots.

We'll still have Corned Beef and Cabbage on Thursday, but it's always nice to celebrate with Kathleen!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!




You can see how creamy it is! But it kind of stinks when you first unwrap it. A lot. Hold your nose, but it really is a delicious blue. Stinkiest one I've tried yet. But not stinky as in lousy, stinky as in smelly. Whew! If you can get past that, you'll love it on a cheese tray or as an ingredient!  No one else here dared to try. They have all cheese issues and will only stick with the usual's, Mozzarella, Muenster, Cheddar, Jarlsberg and American. Their loss. I loved this Blue cheese!



Ireland's delicious Cashel blue cheese with cabbage, a winning combination!
Next time I might add some toasted walnuts! 

Cabbage Salad with Cashel Blue
Source: http://www.cashelblue.com/
adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

1/2 head cabbage, red or green, shredded
parsley sprigs, finely chopped
1 large crisp apple, cored and sliced very thin
3 carrots, shredded or grated
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
pinch of curry powder
8 oz Cashel Blue
2 oz plain yogurt
2 oz mayonnaise

Soak the cabbage in cold water for about two hours, changing the water 3 to 4 times. Drain and dry well.

Combine apples, carrots and parsley with the cabbage. Add curry, thyme, salt and pepper. Mix well.

Crumble the blue cheese and sprinkle on top. Mix together the yogurt and mayo, pour on salad and mix it well. Serve.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I'm also joining Lynn @ Happier than a Pig in Mud for her Celebrity Cook-Along!  First up is Ina Garten. I made Ina's Popover's, they're easy and delicious, but I posted them last year, but didn't want to miss a good party. My original post is HERE!

and joining Debbie from Dining with Debbie for What's On the Menu Wednesday!

36 comments:

  1. I love stinky cheese. This salad looks unique and tasty. And, thanks for all the information about what's going on in the blog world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this salad sounds so delicious! thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten all about lucky charms! Yum, they are good. My husband loves blue cheese of all sorts, but he is in Ireland right now, so maybe he can get some for himself. Your little leprechaun is cute--hope he brings you luck! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad looks great! Did you see this post
    http://picklesandcheeseblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/implements-of-cheese.html
    for the cheese knife that's labeled "stinky"? Love that! Thanks for joining the Celebrity Cook-Along Carol:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stinkier the better Carol! The salad sounds great. I'll hold my nose though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the heads up on that cheese knife, Lynn! Love it :)

    LOL, it is stinky, definitely hold your nose!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Pez leprechaun!! How interesting a cabbage salad with blue cheese!! The popovers look amazing! I've never made them, going to have to give them a try! Happy St. Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Kerrygold Irish cheeses but I've never heard of Cashel blue and we love blue cheeses in this house. Thanks for the tip. Your salad looks great and I think there's a wee bit of the Irish in ya, gal. I know for sure there's a bit of the devil in ya!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tasted blue cheese, the blue veins kinda puts me off :), by the way just out of curiousity what exactly is a st patrick's day

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cabbage and my husband love blue cheese... think we might have a perfect match in this salad!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The crunch, the tang and the creaminess - it must have been wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know that I am a huge fan of salads. I simply adore the combination.This is bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful recipe for St. Patricks party.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm I love blue cheese and though I'm not usually a slaw person, this is one I could totally get behind!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that salad. It is a lovely recipe for the holiday. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. The salad looks wonderful!

    Happy St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks good and very interesting. Thnaks for sharing...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love cabbage and the recipe sounds good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a terrific looking salad - I bet the blue cheese gives it such great flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and son would love this salad! They love blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't get past the smell without gagging. Can barely handle a small amount of Gorgonzola. A few restaurants around here have Maytag Blue cole slaw on the menu.

    Enjoy it all by yourself, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks wonderful! A def try for me!
    I love your Pez and bubbles. I hope you enjoyed your lucky charms!
    Thanks for joining in, it wouldn't be a party with out you! Glad you kept the L on Lass! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cabbage salad sounds delicious with the Cashel Blue in it! Happy St Patrick's day to you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is one fancy and delicious sounding cole slaw! I'm afraid I couldn't get it close to my husband's nose though even though I would love it! I'll try it with another cheese ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Perfect St. Patty's Day dish! I love the idea of blue cheese with cabbage :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  26. The cabbage salad looks great with the cheese, a nice twist :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore that Pez!!!!
    Great salad, Carol...the stinkier the cheese, the better I love it.
    I'm already linked at Kathleen's....what fun!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I KNOW I would love that cheese - thanks for sharing - I am going to have to get me some :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Carol, your cabbage sald looks delicious. But, I am not sure if I could get over the stinky smell either. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Saint Patricks Day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sounds good to me...that is a bleu/blue I haven't tried...my favorite to date is Colston-Bassett Stilton. I will be looking for it next time I go to Whole Paycheck...

    ReplyDelete
  31. I will respectfully say...NO WAY IN HELL!!! Just the thought of blue cheese gives me the dry heaves....not a pretty picture!! Now you know what NOT to serve when I come out....

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm a big fan of stinky! I'll take Barb's hehe. Love the idea of this salad. I a little stinky goes a long way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love a good stinky cheese! The salad looks wonderful. I love the addition of curry and apples. This recipe is a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I would love to be a cheese sommelier. Is there such a thing? Also, I have been cooking cabbage like crazy these last two weeks. You can't beat the price.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Cabbage, apples & blue cheese ~ you can't go wrong. This looks wonderful. I want to make this to go with ribs or burgers! Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thanks so much for linking up with What's On the Menu Wednesday. I think bleu cheese is an acquired taste. Hubby has always loved it; I came to as well later in our relationship. It ads such distinctive flavor. See you next week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top