Thursday, April 28, 2011

Matzoh Brei

An old favorite here at our house, even when it's not a holiday, Matzoh Brei! And I have a lot of matzoh left over. You can serve it plain or with preserves, fresh fruit, cinnamon sugar or syrup. You can make it savory by adding garlic, sauteed mushrooms, onions, herbs, spinach, whatever you like. You can even add cheese, brie is nice, and then it would be called Matzoh Brei with Brie :)




Matzoh Brei
Source: There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe


4 matzohs, broken in small pieces
1 cup hot water
3 eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter

Break matzoh into pieces in a large bowl. Pour hot water over matzoh and stir to allow it to absorb some of the water.

Drain matzoh in a strainer and leave in strainer. To the bowl, add eggs, salt and pepper and beat gently with a whisk. Stir in the matzoh to combine.

Heat butter over medium heat in a large pan. Add matzo mixture and fry on one side until bottom is golden brown and crisp. Flip matzoh and fry the other side. If you want it "scrambled" instead of a "pancake" style, stir it around and break up the clumps.

Remove from heat and serve immediately.

20 comments:

  1. Never heard of matzoh brei but it looks yummy with or without brie:))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds good to me, like your touch of humor too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a great movie time snack!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had matzoh brei before but it looks very intersting! Thanks for introducing a new thing to us :) It sounds like a perefect snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds like a fun treat; new for me.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though I'm not Jewish I grew up eating Matzoh during the holidays! I always looked forward to it coming out during Passover. I missed out on buying Matzoh this year as I was traveling. I went to the grocery yesterday hoping there would be leftovers and it was all sold out:(
    I love to eat Matzoh with butter smeared all over it...yum! I never tried to make Matzoh Brei before -- I'll have to try it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you make it with the chocolate kind?

    ReplyDelete
  8. thankyou for following my blog,, I have never tried matzoh but will now for sure,, sound so versatile,, yummo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Matzoh Brei with Brie ~ I think you've got a winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so funny :) I think I would like Matzoh Brei with Brie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love matzah brei, savory style. I have not had it yet but we also still have matzah. It is never too late to enjoy this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like mine pancake style. This is a lovely plate presentation. Love the pattern of the plate,too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do believe dear girl that is a dish you must grow up with!! (how was that for tact!!) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great tact, Barb, and I think the very same thing could be said for Gefilte Fish :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute! I don't know this dish, but it looks great! (Especially with brie.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. To be honest I have never heard of Matzoh Brei! I will have to google this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't had this in years, but your version of it sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's the first time I hear about matzoh brei. Thanks for introducing it. It does look appetizing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top