Saturday, November 12, 2011

Spatchcock Chicken

Spatchcock a chicken. Now that's a technique I never thought I'd do. I giggled just saying it. Yeah so much for maturity. QUIET, ANONYMOUS BARB :)

When you spatchcock a chicken you remove the backbone and flatten it. It cooks quicker, more evenly, and it's easier to carve. Like baking bread with yeast, to me butterflying a chicken sounds like a major challenge. So I've been wrong. This was easy enough. Makes me think I may get out the yeast and the lukewarm water and bake a bread. Well maybe not. But this was easy. Really easy. And good. really good.

I found the recipe for Devil's Chicken in a very nice cookbook, A Bird in the Oven by Mindy Fox. It also describes how to butterfly the chicken. It's actually a pretty simple technique. Or ask the butcher to do it for you. You can say "butterfly my chicken" and get the same results as spatchcock. The book has a lot of ideas for chicken and also some very nice sides to go along with the roasted bird. Love this book, I have about 12 post-its in there already. The Devil's Chicken, it's a definite keeper.






Roast Chicken Diavolo with Peppers, Onions and Potatoes
Original recipe from A Bird in the Oven by Mindy Fox
adapted by There's Always Thyme to Cook
Printable Recipe

1 (4-pound) whole chicken, butterflied
1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon plus zest
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)
coarse sea salt
olive oil (about 3-4 tablespoons)
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 large onion, peeled, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wedges
1/2 cup dry white wine
baby Yukon gold potatoes, or any potato you like, bigger potatoes cut in small pieces

Preheat the oven to 425° F with the racks positioned in the middle and upper third of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Pull off excess fat around the cavities of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken and pat dry all over very well. Lightly grease a large baking dish with oil. Place the chicken, skin-side up, into the pan.

In a small bowl, stir together the lemon zest and juice, chopped herbs, black pepper, and hot pepper. Spread the mixture over the chicken, and under the skin of the breasts. Season with salt and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.

Place the potatoes, peppers and onion onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with a little bit olive oil. Gently toss the vegetables to coat with oil, then arrange in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.

Put the chicken on the upper rack and the vegetables on the middle rack and roast for about 20 minutes. Add the wine to the pan with the chicken and continue roasting for 10 minutes more. Remove both pans from the oven and transfer the peppers and onions to the pan with the chicken. Return the chicken and vegetables to the oven and continue roasting until the skin is golden and the chicken is cooked through, about 25 minutes more, and the juices run clear.

Remove from the oven and let rest about 10 minutes or more, then transfer the chicken to a cutting board to carve. Serve with the potatoes, peppers and onions. Spoon the juices over the top.

Joining 
Beth at Beth Fish Reads for her fun Weekend Cooking Party. Every weekend. It's open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share! Go on over and see some fun posts.
 
AND



49 comments:

  1. I have seen Ina do this and thought it looked tricky but now that you said it isn't difficult I will try it too. It sure does look lovely on the serving dish ~ delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to do this and now you just proved it isn't that hard; anxious to try this; I just printed your recipe. Merci.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always laugh when I hear the word spatchcocked. You just have to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Impressive! I just love the word! I need to add this to the list to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard that term before but I saw someone on the Food network do this and then put the chicken in a pan with bricks on top of it. I just finished breakfast yet your photo of the cooked chicken made my mouth water. Fantastic sounding recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The chicken looks great! ...and I'm telling the teacher you said a dirty word:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That recipe had my mouth watering - time for lunch I think! I’ve printed it off and can’t wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to admit, I have never heard of this term. Your recipe and pictures looks so good! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yumm!!!! Have a nice weekend carol

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so yummy - and chicken is on the menu for tomorrow's dinner. I've never tried to remove the backbone, but I'm game for something new!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Roast Chicken Diavolo looks devishly delicious! I have to give that recipe (and butterflying a chicken) a try!
    Have a great weekend!
    http://butterybooks.com/?p=44187

    ReplyDelete
  12. a little hard on the chicken, lol, but I bet its great! I think I have had this on the BBQ

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd never heard of spatchcocking before, but now I want to try it just so I'll have an excuse to say it over and over. Spatchcock. Spatchcock. Spatchcock. *giggles*

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the new word and the new technique. I've seen it done but have never tried it. I like how your dish turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fantastic, Carol! I've heard of this technique but always thought it would be difficult to remove the backbone--I'll trust you when you say it was easy. :) I love the spicy seasoning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is pure comfort food for me...reminds me of growing up! That said, I can't help but giggle when I hear, see, or say SPATCHCOCK either. Tee hee...spatchcock.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the term! I know the technique but never knew it had a name. Love this!! And the chicken looks absolutely divine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What do you call a chicken without a backbone?

    A chicken , chicken!

    Looks good, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never heard of Spatchcock before...but it definitely made me laugh. The chicken looks great, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm no longer intimidated by yeast, but deboning or butterflying will probably never happen in my kitchen. I'm surprised that it didn't cook faster butterflied. I do 14-15 minutes per pound when roasting whole, so your bird would have been done in one hour.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I did not know that there was a name for this...which at first reminded me of badminton for some reason, and yes I giggled too. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm a spatchcock virgin :-) I think I'll ask my butcher to butterfly a chicken for us. Looks really good Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a funny name for a chicken,Carol!I can definitely flatten the little sucker in order to serve a chicken that looks that good!Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a funny name,what a delicious dish!Have a lovely Sunday,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love chicken no matter how it is cooked but this sounds really good Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this way of cooking chicken. The skin gets of crispy and has great flavor. This looks like a delicious recipe, Carol. Looking forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a wicked sense of humor. I like that about you. LOL. Seriously though this chicken looks crispy and so delicious. Nothing like a good roasted chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  28. spatchcock,I like that word! i also like the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love a crispy, juicy roast chicken. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've asked a butcher to do this but have not done it at home. If you say it is not so hard, it's worth trying. Nice photo of finished dish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. It's surprising that with all the chicken I've cooked over the years, I've never spatchcocked one. Yours looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Gosh that looks delicious, but way more work than I'm up for... lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks delicious! I love chicken! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  34. That looks so good. Thanks for the tip:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. The red pepper flakes combined with the other herbs sounds yummy! Never have Spatchcocked a chicken and the word does sound comical. :)
    ~Judy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Spatchcock is a word that just makes me giggle, too. Wonder who came up with it? Whatever the etymology the recipe sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I've only spatchcocked a chicken once for grilling and it did cook more evenly than a whole bird. I love roasted chicken at this time of year (just made one yesterday). This sounds like a delicious recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That looks very delish!! I might try this, this coming Thanksgiving, instead of a huge turkey a small or medium chicken will for our small family. Thanks for sharing!
    Mosaic Monday

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ok, say spatchcock fast three times..LMAO I was amazed at your 'butchery' skills...still have all your fingers? I roast chickens all the time, I may have to try this spatchcocking!!! ME

    ReplyDelete
  40. Yum! I love the seasonings and all of the veggies in this. I just recently butterflied a chicken and you're right, it can't be beat for quicker cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Mmm my mouth is watering! This dish looks delicious.
    I have a friend who always butterflies her whole chickens before roasting them. I'm going to have to give it a try one day soon.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I always split the chicken down the middle and flatten it out to cook. It does cook faster that way and is easier to cut into portions. I have not thought (duh) about heaping it up with peppers and onions to cook away. It does look delicious and I will give it a go the next time I cook a chicken. V

    ReplyDelete
  43. I just learned a new word:spatchcocked
    I always avoid to buy a chicken as a whole...but seeing your post I may get the courage to try. Looks delicious with the peppers and potatoes.
    Hope you have a wonderful week ahead Carol :-)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Beautiful golden brown..the chicken looks so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I spatchcocked a chicken once and it turned out delicious. This recipe looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  46. I too find the word really funny! Next time hubby asks what's for dinner, I'm going to say this with a wink :-)

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love your post! thanks for sharing... God bless you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top