Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Beef and Mushrooms, perfect combination!

And we have a winner! This one they loved. All of them! Miss Picky? She loved it. And the Big Kid, who once asked when my "cream sauce" stage would be over, even he liked it!




Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
Original recipe from EatingWell - The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook 
Source: Cindy5_NY
Printable Recipe

2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
1 pound flank steak, trimmed
1 pound cremini mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 large onion, sliced
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium beef broth
2 tablespoons cognac, or brandy
1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream (I used regular sour cream)
4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, or parsley

Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add steak and cook until browned on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. (The meat will be rare, but will continue to cook as it rests.) Transfer to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Cut lengthwise into 2 long pieces then crosswise, across the grain, into 1/4-inch-thick slices.

Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very tender and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables; stir to coat. Stir in the broth, cognac (or brandy) and vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in sour cream, chives (or parsley), the sliced steak and any accumulated juices. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes more.

Serve with egg noodles or mashed potatoes!

14 comments:

  1. You can't go wrong with Stroganoff. It is the ultimate comfort food. I love it too. I wish I had this waiting for me after work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good stroganoff! And especially the ones made with sour cream. Looks delicious AND I love that you've made it as lo-cal as possible without losing flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great-thanks! Maybe this Sunday with some nice crusty bread:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, OMG...that stroganoff looks so good...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks good Carol. I make it a lot in the winter, but I never tried it with flank steak. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol:

    This looks delicious. I wish this weather would change to Fall so that I'd be more in the mood for the heartier Fall dishes. I haven't made Stroganoff in awhile. You've inspired me.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that beef and mushrooms make the perfect combination, especially in your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this looks absolutely yummy! I am such a lazy bum that I have only made it with ground beef! lol I'll bet this would be a hit with my family! Have a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I might have made Stroganoff once in my life but I don't think it was a very good recipe so I never tried it again. This recipe sounds amazing! I love the sound of the herbs and cognac.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't had stroganoff in years! This looks delicious. This will make a great winter recipe, can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "cream sauce" stage ... cracks me up!
    This indeed looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love this! I'm doing a beef dish this weekend...it's that time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top