Saturday, February 28, 2009

Farewell to February...

Jayne at Grain of Salt is tired of winter and so are a few of our blogging buddies! So here's a goodbye to February from me as well!



Farewell to February...



and a big hello to Spring to come! and soon!

Spring to me means vegetable gardens and planting Heirloom tomatoes. I'm only just learning about flowers and gardening from my internet friends. To me it's all about the food :)



Lettuce for salads...



Beautiful Bouquets of flowers...






and best of all... grilling!



We grill in the winter sometimes, but it'll be nice to do it when it's light outside and we're not shivering :)

When you're ready for grilling, these are my two most favorite rib recipes. Although I am always on the lookout for more...

This one comes from my good friend, San! Her recipes always have that secret ingredient and they always work! This one has Cherry Cola. and it's so good! From Bon Appétit to me by way of San!



Grilled Spareribs with Cherry Cola Glaze
Bon Appétit | July 2002
from San

4 12-ounce cans cherry cola (flat)
2 cups cherry jam or preserves
2/3 cup Dijon mustard with horseradish
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons malt vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

7 1/4 to 7 1/2 pounds well-trimmed pork spareribs

Boil cherry cola in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 45 minutes. Stir in next 5 ingredients. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until mixture is reduced to 2 1/2 cups, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes. Transfer glaze to large bowl. (Can be made 1 week ahead. Cover; chill. Bring to room temperature before using.)

Position racks in top and bottom thirds of oven and preheat to 325°F. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Wrap each rib rack tightly in foil, enclosing completely. Divide foil packets between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until ribs are very tender, switching positions of baking sheets halfway through baking, about 2 hours total. Cool ribs slightly in foil. Pour off any fat from foil packets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep covered in foil packets and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.)

Prepare barbecue (medium-low heat). Cut each rib rack between bones into individual ribs. Set aside 1 cup glaze. Add ribs to bowl with remaining glaze and toss to coat. Grill ribs until brown and glazed, turning to prevent burning, about 5 minutes total. Serve, passing reserved glaze separately

and this one from Sue at the Cooking Forum. Always gets raves.



Grilled Roadhouse Baby Back Ribs
posted CF CookingRVC (Sue)

2 large racks pork baby back ribs
salt
coarse ground black pepper

SAUCE:
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup minced fresh onion
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon bourbon
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper -- coarse
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon paprika

To make the ribs, cut each large rack of ribs in half so that you have 4 half-racks. Sprinkle a light coating of salt and a more generous portion of coarse pepper over the top and bottom of each rack. Wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and bake in a preheated 300 degree oven for 2 1/2 hours.

As the ribs cook, make the sauce by heating the oil in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat. Sauté the onions for 5 minutes or until they start to brown. Add the remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and set aside until the ribs are ready. Preheat your barbecue grill.

When ribs are finished in the oven, the meat should have pull back about 1/2-inch from the cut-ends of the bones. Remove the ribs from the oven, let them sit for 10 minutes or so, then remove the racks from the foil and put them on the grill. Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes per side. They should be slightly charred in a few spots when they're finished. Brush barbecue sauce on the ribs while they're grilling, just before you serve them. Don't add the sauce too early or it will burn.
Serves 2 (full-racks) to 4 (half-racks).

Check out more Farewells to February...
Jayne, A Grain of Salt
Susan, Savoring Time in the Kitchen
Kathleen, Cuisine Kathleen
Barb, Foley's Follies
Debbie, Mountain Breaths
Marsha, Marsha's Garden
Cynthia, Events Only

11 comments:

  1. Yes, better veggies are coming and strawberries, etc...
    That grill is amazing, and the ribs are calling me!
    Great post...bye bye February, looking forward to Spring...a new beginning..

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your grill always has that variety on it, I'll be over for the next bbq! I know we are going to make a gardener out of you yet, and vegetables are just as pretty as blossoms in my opinion. Great looking ribs and I look forward to trying these new recipes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The grill shot says it all! That's the epitome of summer spent outdoors with family and friends.

    I love growing tomatoes too. I just wish they liked our climate and humidity a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know how much I missed the grilling until your photo and recipes... Good going!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of a cherry cola glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol, just you wait... some of those flowers you planted last year are going to spring up and you'll think you're a gardener! ;-) I remember the lettuces you grew and I'm going to try it this year! Great looking veggies! Like Kathleen says, "a new beginning".

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect post Carol. I am all about those tomatoes too!!! Unfortunately I won't be eating any here (unless they are store bought) until late August! Your ribs all look so good. I made a version of your cherry chipotle sauce the other day. I just haven't gotten around to posting about it. Maybe this weekend! Love your Teddy Bears (the sunflowers).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, you're correct; it is time for February and winter to go away.

    I love the lettuce collage, so pretty. And the best of all for us will be grilling. John is definitely a fair-weather griller and I have never learned how to even light the thing.

    Such a bright, lovely farewell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures, they assure me warmer months are ahead. I can't wait to start grilling after a long day at the beach. Thanks for stopping by my site, yours is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carol, aka the rib lady! I've made Sue's ribs and they are wonderful! I must try San's recipe this summer. I'm looking forward to more of your garden adventures this year :-) Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd forgotten all about Sue's Ribs; how could I?
    I must make it again soon. And those pictures are a huge culprit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. They are fun to read and very much appreciated! Sorry for comment moderation, the spam has been overwhelming lately.

Back to top